Around the House Ideas
Welcome to our Learning Around the House section! Here we have put together some engaging activities that support and promote early childhood development. Our intention is to give you, the parents some tools and ideas to engage with your child at home, without the hassle of running to the store for supplies. These activities have also been created through the cultural lens that Makonsag values and we have made sure to keep our cultural programming at the forefront.
We have categorized activities to follow the following five criteria:
We hope you enjoy the list of culturally relevant activities and enjoy the time playing, learning, and loving with your little one.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 lemon. Juiced and rind
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat vegetable oil in a deep-frying pan to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. (It’s also possible to bake or cook the bannock over an open flame).
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add water and mix until dough becomes thick and sticky. Do not over mix or the dough will become tough.
- Roll the dough into a large ball and slice into 12 equal pieces.
- Flatten each ball of dough with your hands.
- Drop dough into the oil and fry until it is golden brown on both sides and soft but cooked inside.
- For the raspberry compote cook the berries in a saucepan over medium heat until soft.
- Add sugar, lemon juice, rind, and salt.
- Continue cooking until the sugar is dissolved.
- Serve bannock drizzled with compote.
- “I wonder who/what/why…”
- “I think…”
- Pretend to be a dog – Practice the downward-facing dog pose.
- Pretend to be a tree – practice the tree pose.
- Pretend to be a giraffe – practise the extended mountain pose.
- Pretend to be an elephant – practice wide-legged standing forward bend.
- Pretend to be a butterfly – practice the cobbler’s pose.